Search This Blog

Tuesday 11 December 2012

Intro

Did your family have a connection with the Arsenal Works in Plumstead and Woolwich North West Kent in the early 19hundreds. Then do let us know.


employed in the ordnance factory.

1915.08
34,064

1917.11
75,865( of which 28,195 claimed to being female)

1919/1920
28,195(2,003 woman)


For history on the Arsenal see ...


The Royal Arsenal, Woolwich
Edited and produced by K TIMBERS (Historian of the RAWHS) (2011)

The Royal Arsenal, Woolwich (Britain in old Photographs)
by Roy MASTERS

Aspects of the Arsenal: The Royal Arsenal Woolwich
Edited by Beverley BURFORD and Julian WATSON(1997)


Royal Greenwich Local History Center

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Arsenal

Royal Arsenal Association

2 comments:

  1. Yes my family do!

    My grandmother Florence Eliza Bogg worked at Woolwich Arsenal as an overlooker in the cartridge packing shop from 1915 until 1917 when she married. I have a photo of her and some other female workers taken in 1915.
    She met her husband Edward Newsham there after an explosion in the cartridge packing shop brought him running out of the experimental gunpowder laboratory next door. he was trained in first aid and helped her to help the injured.

    Florence's father John Glanville Bogg (my great grandfather) was also an overlooker at Woolwich Arsenal. Florence's grandfather (my great great grandfather was Edmund Bogg. He was also an overlooker at Woolwich Arsenal for many years although when he was young he was in the Royal Artillery. His father another John Bogg/Boggs (my 3 x great grandfather) was also in the Royal Artillery although I don't know so much about him. He may have worked at Woolwich Arsenal. Certainly his wife Deborah Bogg nee King died in the Woolwich Cholera epidemic in 1832.
    As well as a photo of my grandmother at Woolwich Arsenal in 1915 I also have a photo of office workers at Woolwich Arsenal that was in my grandmother's album but I don't know why it was there as I can't recognise anyone in the family. As these are some of our earliest photos there must be someone in our family in there but who?
    Some of grandmother's brothers worked there also.
    Would you like photos?
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Any Woolwich Arsenal pictures welcomed.

    ReplyDelete